Counter steering on a mountain bike. It's not a myth.

Countersteering, point your wheel in the opposite direction you want to turn and voila. I think out of all the things I have learned in mountain biking, countersteering took me the longest to learn.

I was riding with Bob McCarty from McCarty Training and I recorded a whole lap of him riding in front of me. There were places where he kept pulling away so slightly. He was not braking in the turns and when i got home the first thing i did was to review the complete video. What i saw was the following..

He kept pointing the wheel in the opposite direction momentarily before turning. Then the bike leaned nicely and he would do one whole movement throughout the turn.

Later on I did take some clinics with him and basically figured out there is an exact point when it has to be done, which is why I am talking about this subject.

Even if you don't when to countersteer all you need to know is that it helps to lean the bike. Leaning a bike during a turn is one of the most important things you can learn. The right lean will give you confidence to rail and most importantly keep the momentum.

Video about countersteering explained:




Comments

  1. is countersteering when you push on the opposite grip eg. the left when you want to turn to the right this will really help if people are willing to answer

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts