Preventing a Flat Tire: How I stopped getting pinch flats

My previous post about PSI was all about lowering the air to the minimum amount possible. If you followed my advice more than likely you will get a pinch flat. A pinch flat is when the tire compresses against an object and the tube is squeezed between the object and the rim. Sometimes you may get a snake bite which is two holes on each of the tube on the inside.

You can buy a tubeless a kit for $63 dollars http://www.notubes.com/Standard-Kit-P49.aspx This is easy to set up on your bicycle. I just finished installing a kit on my Specialized Hardrock.

So the hardest thing to do was to inflate the tire. Since i didn't have a tubeless tire and unfortunately, the tire that came with the bicycle was hard to get the bead to seat properly on the rim, I opted for WTB Wolverine instead of the regular steel bead tire that came with the bike. It took me about 10 minutes to complete the whole process. I removed the inner lining of the rim, scrubbed the inside of the rim to remove the paint a little bit (this makes the yellow tape stick more), applied alcohol and then dried it with a clean rag. As I applied the yellow tape I wondered if it would cover the rim adequately but soon realized the rim strip(black strip with the valve stem) does a great job covering the whole area. I applied soapy water to the rim and the tire and voila, it was done. To make things a little bit easier I used a CO2 cartridge and then finished inflating the tires to 60 psi while turning it left and right. Remember, if you are using a non tubeless tires there may be a lot of pores so you need to allow the liquid to seal before setting it down.

I placed the wheel horizontally on the ground and went out for a ride. When I came back the tire had the same air pressure. It had sealed perfectly.

I live in Myrtle Beach and this was definitely a good investment for out type of trails. I don't have to worry about getting pinch flats or flats from thorns and sand spurs. Most importantly, now i can run 20-24 psi without having to fear getting a pinch flat.



Comments

  1. Sometimes, you won't notice this damage right away, so you end up with that "snake bite". The last thing you wnat to do to too much pressure on your tires. At the same time, steer away from sharp and pointed objects that can damage your tires.

    Rita @ EvansTire.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts