Bike Fit: Handle Bar and Seat angle

I just came from a long weekend of riding at Oleta. I was really wanting to test my endurance so I rode with a lot of people both days. Sitting in the parking lot, one of the things I often see wrong is the handle bar angle, and seat position. It never fails. There's always that one person that is always completely off. The sad part of this is that the rider is completely clueless to the situation.

It is important to fix this right away. It would make riding more comfortable and would get rid of any pain on your back or wrist you've been getting. Most importantly it can help you ride better.

The seat depending on the rider is usually a sign of a bigger problem. If is a large rider I always look under the seat and take a look at the railings. If they are bent I know this person is not getting out of the saddle when they should. Other times, it just a matter of the seat always being tilted up too much. In my own bike having the seat tilted a few degrees robs me of power. I could immediately feel it.

A bad angle on the handle bar is the result of an incorrectly set seat. If you are not sitting correctly on the bike the handlebar is not going to be in the right place. Of course this is just a general rule as some people with the perfect seat position also have handlebars setup incorrectly.

So my advice, before heading out there again, check your bike. Make sure that the seat is leveled to the ground. That the seat is not moved too forward or backward in the X-axis. I know fit is a very personal choice but our physiology is the same. At the end of the day you can't ride with a bent wrist or your knees in front of your toe(think squatting).

Comments

Popular Posts