Product Review: Mavic Crossmax SLR Wheelset

I just want to put this out there because for the last year I have been riding a pair of Mavic Crossmax SLR wheelset. Let me just say this is by far the best wheelset I have ever ridden. The cost is substantial but when compared to other wheelsets it is well justified.

I decided to go with Mavic after having a really bad experience with Industry Nine Wheels. Let me just say that I-9s gave me a little bit of problems. I was running the ZTR Flow Rims paired with XC hubs. The wheel kept getting out of true every month, the spokes were getting loose too and the bearings did not last longer than 4 months. It is true there is no better engagement in the market and that their customer service is one of the best in the industry. They will go the extra mile to please you. As a matter of fact the wheels were rebuilt at not cost and the bearings were replaced free of charge. I always felt that they wanted me to be happy. Having said that, I couldn't really afford to be changing spokes. The mere fact that when you break a spoke you have to untape the rim(Stans yellow tape) to replace it, it is a big headache. So when i bought the mavic wheels I was very apprehensive.

First few weeks on the mavic wheels i was really careful. I came from the idea that 1500 grams wheelset were just too light for my 235lbs body. The first couple of test came in Markham Park, Florida when I came off a 4 ft platform by mistake and the wheel was as true as the first day. From there on I started to do more stuff such as jumping and whipping the rear wheel. Nothing ever damaged the wheel. I kept abusing it more and to this date the only thing that i've done has been to break a spoke. Now it all fairness the spoke was broken because something got into the wheel which is by far the only complaint I have. Besides that the pawl engagement has a plastic part that breaks. You don't really notice unless you take apart the free hub body. The free hub body has to cleaned every month or so. If not, it makes a really bad noise as something is grinding inside. I don't mind this either as you should maintain your parts. Best of all is that all it takes is a 5 and 10 allen wrench and you are all done.

I would highly recommend this wheel whether it is for your 29er or 26" bicycle. They are bomb proof and at a weight of 1500 grams it doesn't get any better.

Comments

Popular Posts